It’s hard not to fall for those beseeching eyes that ask for just a few morsels longer, that extra cookie from lunch, or the bite before bed. However, for your pet’s sake, you need to supercharge your heart.
Bonus Tip: Express your love for the dog with extracurricular, cuddling, or attention, not extra meals.
- Measure your pet’s food. If he’s supposed to have just one cup of dry food twice a day, do not eyeball it. Actually, measure a cup. Do not fill the container to overflowing. One cup means filled just to the brim. Treats need to be included in his daily intake. Decrease the dry food from the quantity of the snacks.
- Do not free feed your dog. Free feeding means there is always food in the bowl and the dog eats when he’s hungry; at least that’s the theory. Many puppies will eat out of boredom just like individuals. Free feeding means you’ve got the propensity to maintain the bowl filled only in case the dog is hungry. Changing from feeding to feeding quantified quantities twice a day requires a little patience. Fill his bowl with half of his allotted meals in the afternoon. At dinner time filled with the other half of his allotted food and eliminate whatever is left after 30 minutes. After a couple of times, your dog will recognize mealtime isn’t anytime anymore.
- Provide low-calorie snacks like carrots, celery, or apple slices. The crunch means he’ll be able to satisfy his desire to chew something. Peanut butter inside a toy, like a Kong, suits the chewing urge as well. They do not think”I’ve put on a few extra pounds around the middle, I better cut back to the puppy chow for a while.” Nope. You can help your overweight pooch to eliminate weight. In reality, you’re the reason your buddy is plump. You’re the one who fills up this bowl.
- Increase exercise. Go slowly if your dog is older or obese. Start with a gentle walk around the block. Most dogs love to go for a stroll. Increase the length of the walk slowly, perhaps a few added minutes daily. After a couple of weeks start raising the pace of your walk as well. As a bonus, you might find yourself a few pounds lighter too.
- Boost active play sessions. Any additional increase in a workout will help your dog eliminate weight. Begin a game of draw or catch the ball.